TOWARDS A CIRCULAR ECONOMY
Launch of a National Competence Center in the province of Brescia
As part of the “Towards a Circular Economy” project, Alchema oversaw the conception, project development, partner search and project communication activities.
The project was funded by the Cariplo Foundation as part of the Provincial Emblematic Interventions.
Project partners: Cogeme Foundation, Brescia Province, Castello di Padernello Foundation, Kyoto Club.
MAKING THE PROVINCE OF BRESCIA A PIONEER TERRITORY IN THE EXPLORATION AND APPLICATION OF THE CIRCULAR ECONOMY
The heart of the project was the establishment and launch of a Competence Center (knowledge hub) to make knowledge, tools and activities dedicated to the involvement of the entire community (businesses – profit and non-profit – citizens, public administrations, research centers, schools) available to the territory.
The competence center has its physical headquarters inside the Padernello Castle in Borgo San Giacomo, a symbolic place of the rebirth of the lower Brescia area and of a new and more virtuous relationship between man, history and nature. The Castle is also a consolidated reference point for the cultural initiatives of that territory and of the entire province of Brescia.
A LABORATORY MODEL OF CIRCULAR ECONOMY
The Competence Center therefore performs a fundamental information, training and experimental function through an articulated program of activities to be carried out over a three-year period.
The goal is to produce wide and positive environmental, economic and social impacts on the Brescia area.
Among these activities:
- Documentation and information;
- Construction of collaboration networks and pilot projects;
- Disclosure and promotion.
For more info: https://www.versounaeconomiacircolare.it/
Efficiency in the Yachting World
Alchema took part in the Boat Ecology business network. The project aimed to introduce environmental sustainability and efficiency as guiding principles for the success of the nautical sector, proposing the application of policies and technologies for the benefit of ports and shipowners.
BOAT ECOLOGY, A SYSTEM INTEGRATOR OF SUSTAINABILITY IN THE NAUTICAL SECTOR
Boat Ecology proposed itself as a system integrator in the application of best practices and best available technologies in the field of eco-efficiency applied to port facilities and yachts. The goal was to spread technological innovation with low environmental impact in the world of pleasure navigation and promote environmental culture. The skills offered to port facilities and shipyards include technological innovation and management systems, aimed at reducing costs, increasing attractiveness towards customers and the level of competitiveness compared to competitors.
Boat ecology offered owners and masters a complete service for the eco-efficient refit of sailing and motor boats, aimed at increasing autonomy and comfort on board and protecting boats’ economic value over time.
MANY SKILLS, ONE GOAL
The companies in the network were able to guarantee, each with their own skills, a multidisciplinary and integrated approach: Avanzi is involved in research, consultancy and incubation in the field of environmental innovation since 1997; Montana deals with environmental and waste management, environmental engineering, decontamination, environmental impact assessments and permitting.
Greenville|KW is an engineering company specialized in consultancy, design and development of solutions for energy efficiency and sustainability; Alchema deals with project management, permitting, financing of large infrastructure projects and RGS works in the field of industrial and environmental risk assessment, prevention and management, environmental impact assessment and technologies for the reduction of environmental impact.
ELORIP – Local Ecosystem of Recovery
Solutions for surveillance and epidemic’s prevention in workplaces
As part of the ELORIP project, Alchema oversaw the conception, implementation and supervision of the activities and coordination of the partners.
ELORIP is an open, decentralized data and information management and organization system, with an edge computing approach, able to manage health, individual and environmental data collected locally or from systems developed at regional and national level.
Its purpose is to minimize the probability of new infections within particularly critical contexts interms of gatherings, with potential impacts in terms of:
– monitoring of potential contacts at risk;
– prevention and safety (access, mobility and use of spaces);
– versatility: the platform can be used for different purposes and can adapt to different areas of application.
Today in the United States and Europe are being adapted the contact tracing strategies used in Asia, considering the need to respect privacy and voluntary membership. Apple and Google have developed an encrypted system that allows you to track contacts through bluetooth-based APIs, which can be inserted into the app for tracking contacts. The Italian government has identified a tracking app called “Immuni”.
The systems described so far are of a general nature, intended to develop big data for statistical purposes or to regulate access to mass public systems, to avoid gatherings and the presence of subjects at risk of infectivity.
However, there is a lack of a local tool which allows people in charge of places that may involve gatherings of people is and that are considered at risk: employers and those responsible for safety at places where the epidemic is monitored and prevented. work (offices or factories), directors of RSA and nursing homes, managers of bars, restaurants, shops, etc. Key places to allow the resumption of economic and social activities.
The aim of the project is therefore to develop a Local Ecosystem of Recovery (ELORIP), which allows supervision and prevention at the level of local units, respecting privacy and voluntarism.
Infomobility and Intelligent Transport Systems
On behalf of Eupolis – Istituto superiore per la ricerca, la statistica e la formazione, the Higher Institute for Research, Statistics and Training, now called PoliS-Lombardia, Alchema has worked on the preparatory study for the realization of an integrated information service on transport system and traffic in the Lombardy Region.
Purposes of the study:
- description of the development of the European and Italian legislation on infomobility and intelligent transport systems (ITS);
- realization of an update on the latest trends on technologies and infomobility systems and IT;
- analysis of best practices at national, European and international level on infomobility and intelligent transport systems;
- monitoring of the activities carried out by the other italian regions, with particular attention to closer regions, on infomobility and intelligent transport systems also related to the guidelines of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport on the “database of ITS services in Italy”;
- provision of updated projects and initiatives in Lombardy related to infomobility and ITS.
The Taste of Italy
A Project aimed at the valorization of the italian excellence
Alchema in collaboration with Aida Partners Ogilvy PR and Symbola – Foundation for Italian Qualities, in 2013, started the study for the creation of a permanent SHOWCASE from May 2014 until the end of 2015 where to show the best of Made in Italy in its “greener” meaning.
The showcase, dedicated to medium-small businesses that could not afford huge investments in Expo 2015, had as its main theme the excellence of Made in Italy, considered as a mix of handmade, manufacturing tradition, creativity and style, but also entrepreneurial skills, innovation and attitude towards the future of companies.
A series of places, spaces and opportunities to meet and learn about the true essence of Made in Italy, the fabric of small businesses, artisans, knowledge and territories, the creative and innovative gaze of the Italian entrepreneurs towards a more sustainable.
A real showcase open to all the realities that represent the excellence of our country: agricultural and food companies, but also developers of innovative techniques and technologies dedicated to these sectors and all those who direct their efforts in the study and improvement of products, both in terms of nutrition and environmental, economic and social sustainability.
This study (2014) has as its main purpose the analysis of the most recent national and international experiences related to technologies and infomobility systems, considered within the more general framework of intelligent transport systems (Intelligent Transport Systems, ITS).
Infomobility is still an important topic of discussion at an international level because:
- The need for sustainable mobility is constantly increasing;
- Technologies are more and more widespread, and even more performing and at low cost;
- There is a need of a better management and optimization of existing infrastructures.
After describing the developments in the European and Italian legislation on infomobility and intelligent transport systems (ITS), in this e book the best international experiences in terms of infomobility have been analyzed and described in detail, with particular reference to the services provided in relation to major events (World Football Championships, Olympics, etc.).
The main Italian projects and ongoing experiences in territorial areas were then reviewed, with a specific focus on the Lombardy Region and the Milanese metropolitan area.
It also describes a list of the services and projects that are carried out in the Lombardy Region.
Makers, widespread manufacturing, the third industrial revolution
New business opportunities
Alchema carried out a study aimed at outlining business opportunities, on behalf of an important national bricolage and DIY brand, by proposing a service development strategy for services dedicated to the makers movement and by supposing the creation of a dedicated corner inside a store.
The revolution of the new widespread manufacturing (eg. 3D printing, FabLab) and the growing attention on the making phenomenon opens up new and really interesting opportunities for operators in the DIY sector.
The makers movement and the new widespread manufacturing therefore represent new ways of doing business that combine do-it-yourself and micro-productions, opening up new and interesting opportunities for do-it-yourself sector.
There are many touchpoints between the culture of “DIY” and the makers movement. If the cultured roots of the FabLabs grew in American universities, the great development of the makers movement took place in the garages and in close relationship with the hobby dimension and the related commercial networks.
For this brand, the analysis identified four possible initiative ares:
- New organization of traditional services
- New services
- New brands
Approaching this new market represents a very interesting growth and development opportunity to be able to offer dedicated services, spaces and equipment, online sales and the creation and interaction with own makers communities to be retained and expanded over time.
Green Italy Report 2020
To download the research click here: https://www.symbola.net/ricerca/greenitaly-2020/
Our contribution at chapter 1.3: “Public finds for the ecological transition”, pag 66-82: https://bit.ly/2ZBnLnp
Green Italy Report 2021
To download the research click here: https://www.symbola.net/ricerca/green-italy-2021/
Below is an in-depth analysis on the LIFE Program.
LIFE is structured in two sectors, Environment and Climate Action, and four sub-programs.
Below are the notices published by the European Executive Agency for Climate, Infrastructure and the Environment (CINEA):
- Underprogram Nature and biodiversity
Strategic projects for nature’s protection
- Strategic Nature Projects – October, 19 2021 (two-stage)
Technical assistance projects
- Technical Assistance preparation of SNAPs – September, 22 2021
- Underprogram Circular Economy and life quality
- Circular Economy, resources from Waste, Air, Water, Soil, Noise, Chemicals, Bauhaus –November, 30 2021
- Environment governance – November, 30 2021
Integrated strategic projects
- Strategic Integrated Projects – Environment – October, 19 2021 (two-stage)
Technical assistance projects
- Technical Assistance preparation of ENV SIPs – September, 22 2021
- Underprogram Mitigation and adaptation to climate change
- Climate Change Adaptation – November, 30 2021
- Climate Change Mitigation – November, 30 2021
- Climate Governance and Information – November, 30 2021
Integrated strategic projects
- Strategic Integrated Projects – Climate Action – October, 19 2021 (two-stage)
Technical assistance projects
- Technical Assistance preparation of CLIMA SIPs – September, 22 2021
- Transition to clean energy – January, 12 2022
Development of a national, regional and local policy framework to support the transition to clean energy
- Technical support to clean energy transition plans and strategies in municipalities and regions
- Towards an effective implementation of key legislation in the field of sustainable energy
- Multilevel climate and energy dialogue to deliver the energy governance
Encourage the diffusion of technology, digitalization, new services and business models and the enhancement of related professional skills on the market
- Large-scale rollout of industrialised deep renovation solutions
- Uptake of energy audits recommendations for the energy transition of companies
- Fostering sustainable energy uptake along the whole value chain in industry and services
- BUILD UP Skills – rebooting the National Platforms and Roadmaps
- Facing the increase in cooling demand of buildings in the coming years
- Establish innovative business models and contractual schemes for smart and sector-integrating energy services
- Creating the conditions for a global improvement of smart readiness of European buildings
Attract private financing for sustainable energy
- Mainstreaming sustainable energy finance and integrating energy performance in EU sustainable finance criteria and standards
- Innovative financing schemes for sustainable energy investments
Support the development of local and regional investment projects
- Integrated home renovation services
- EU community of “Integrated Home Renovation Services” practitioners
- Community-driven clean energy transition in coal, peat and oil-shale regions
- Disruptive PDA – Technical Assistance to advance market boundaries for sustainable energy investments
Involving and empowering citizens in the transition to clean energy
- Addressing building related interventions for vulnerable districts
- Developing support mechanisms for energy communities and other citizen-led initiatives in the field of sustainable energy
Here is the updated study on coworking spaces in Italy carried out by Ufficio Studi PwC Italyin collaboration with Alchema:
The research was presented at the online event “New forms of work organisation: the role of coworking. Presentation of the research on coworking spaces in Italy: market features and analysis of tangible and intangible benefits for businesses”, which was held Wednesday, January 27.
Here video of the online event that was held Wednesday, January 27: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdFlbN-HrnE